Instructional Librarian, Whatcom Community College (June 2010 – Present)
- Develop quality collections to support academic program areas including History, Philosophy, Business & Law, Political Science, Math and Economics.
- Support information literacy by teaching workshops that integrate the use of info lit and related skills through course-related sessions and discipline-based classes.
- Collaborate with colleagues to create instructional content for the library website.
- Improve learning outcomes by providing in person and virtual library reference services to students, faculty and staff, resolve problems and interpret library policies.
- Design and plan outreach programs and posters to promote library services.
- ENGL 100 Grading Panel (Dec 2010, Dec 2011)
- Designated College Copyright Officer (2014 – )
- Ask-WA Co-coordinator (2015 – )
Open Course Library ~ Librarian (Jan 2012 – Mar 2013)
- Develop, promote and curate Open Educational Resources for popular statewide college classes.
- Organize and index OER in a functional manner.
- Assist faculty in finding and developing content.
- Promote OER on campus and statewide.
Web Services Coordinator, Whatcom County Library System (April 2009 – January 2010)
- Assumed overall responsibility for the content, appearance, and functionality of the wcls.org page.
- Worked with selectors, communications, reference, IT and youth staff to maintain currency and relevance of the WCLS Website.
- Monitored and guided staff who are web publishers to maintain the cohesion of the website.
- Responded to patrons who contacted WCLS via the website.
- Dialogued with patrons to ensure that the website is an effective communication tool.
Askaway Virtual Reference Librarian, UBC Libraries (September 2009 – December 2009)
- Provided information and reference services to post-secondary students from across the province of BC in a live, chat-based online environment using Questionpoint software.
Reading Room Assistant, UBC Botanical Gardens, BC (September 2008 – March 2009)
- Developed guidelines for senior garden staff to follow in determining which books and journals should be deaccessed.
- Created assessment guidelines for acquisition of new materials and preservation of older materials.
- Cataloged incoming collection of materials.
Intern, Justice Canada Federal Office, Vancouver, BC (January 2009 – April 2009)
- Cataloguing and database management and materials transition preparation.
Circulation Assistant, Bellingham Technical College Library, WA (Sept 2007 – Sept 2008) (Sept 2010 – 2014).
- Instructed patrons on search techniques and tools.
- Interpreted and responded to reference questions to serve patrons needs.
- Processed serials using Voyager software.
Public Services Assistant, Ferndale Public Library, Ferndale, WA
(January 2004 – June 2010)
- Provided readers’ advisory and reference services and assistance to library patrons.
- Explained library policies and procedures to patrons, and resolved related questions and concerns.
- Assisted patrons with the computer catalog, internet use, reference sources, etc.
- Projects included:
- Trained staff in new intranet management software.
- Created training documents and instructional processes.
- Served on several committees.
- Created and maintained Branch intranet page.
- CLAMS – Webmaster (May 2014 – current)
- Oversaw website migration and upgrade to WordPress on new server
- Reformated directory by integrating Google APIs
- Served on executive committee
- WLA ‘Reference Interest Group’ Webmaster (2010 – 2015)
- Staffed Meet ‘n Greet at the 2010 WLA/PNLA Conference
- Maintain information on website www.rig.wla.org
- Library Volunteer – Carl Cozier Elementary School (2006-2011)
- Yes Libraries! PAC to support Levy-lift for WCLS
- Webmaster – Special Library Association – UBC Student Chapter (2008-2009)
- Vice Chair – American Society of Information Science & Technology – Student Chapter (2008-2009)
- Teachers Assistant – Catch the Son Preschool (2003-2007)
- Secretary – Clearbrook Village Condominium Association (2004-2006)
Merchandising Assistant, JC Penney’s, Bellingham, WA 1999 – 2004
Trained new staff, prepared department for sales (signs and displays).
Bartender, The Highland Pub, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
Bartending, waitressing. 1996-1998
Various retail and food service positions.
Additional Website Management Experience
I am currently managing my partners Great Midwestern Baseball League (fantasy baseball) at www.stratgmbl.org . I designed and formatted the website – including tutorials on how to add specific content (such as embedding excel spreadsheets).